Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka
Rights Now is seeking researchers for an upcoming research project to better understand Sri Lanka’s media (Journalists, bloggers and information producers) community. The goal of the project is to understand the media community’s habits and behaviors, and support services required to enable them to perform their work of producing accurate, fair and insightful reporting.
Research methods will be qualitative, and primarily ethnographic. Researchers will be trained in the appropriate methods of research, and respondent interaction, and must be willing to attend a short workshop in Colombo (end of September) prior to commencing the assignment (early October).
This is a short-term assignment that will include approximately 2 to 3 weeks of full-time work. Activities will include field research, desktop analysis and coordination with the research team.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Must have interest and ability to travel within Sri Lanka
- Must be fluent in either Sinhala or Tamil or both, and speak and write English at an advanced level.
- Must have the ability to operate in a wide variety of social contexts, and with respondents from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds, particularly those based in provincial areas. Empathy must be a core trait.
- Must have ability to work under pressure and be prepared to organize own logistics and carry out the tasks with minimal field support.
- Must be computer-literate, and proficient in the use of word processing and internet software applications.
- A background in the social sciences is strongly preferred. Prior experience with ethnographic or other types of qualitative research is also preferred.
- Knowledge or practical experience of media, communications or other related fields is strongly preferred, but not required for the right candidate.
All applications should include a recent CV as well as a letter of intent describing the applicant’s interest in working with Rights Now, his/her professional background as relevant to the assignment, and details of his/her experience working outside of Colombo.
Please drop your applications to:
Subject: ‘Application for Researcher’
E-email addressed to Ms. Dilrukshi
All applications should be sent on or before September 13, 2013.
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants must be available for an in-person interview in Colombo during the week commencing 15th September 2013, and be available to attend the workshop towards the end of September and conduct the work in early October.